In-Betweenness is an honest, powerful and raw investigation of soft power between dancers Max Wallmeier and Lisa Colette Bysheim. A playful and transparent process unfolds through attempting and insisting; pushing physical limits while trying to find balance in extreme counter points.
By challenging the limits of what is physically possible, two dancers explore fantasies of soft power— the ability to influence the behaviour of others to get what you want. Soft power involves shaping the preferences of others through appeal and attraction; drawing on the resources that make your narrative attractive.
Suspended through a web of polarities, the performance unfolds as a poetic and rigorous negotiation of power. They play with different ways to convince, influence and transform nuances of power through movement, text and voice.
A lighthearted and risk-filled performance that plays with and challenges the classic gender stereotypes that we take upon ourselves in society. The work questions inherited patterns of behaviour and pushes the expectations associated with what a body can say and do. It invites the audience to reflect, experience and ask questions about dynamics of power in their own lives.
Photos by: Thor Brødreskift
Concept, Choreography & Text: Lisa Colette Bysheim
New dancers from 2022: Lisa Colette Bysheim & Max Wallmeier
Original co-creating dancers: Vivian Pakkanen & Rasmus Tirronen
Live sound design: Mike McCormick
Outside eye: Janne-Camilla Lyster
Photographer of process: Dev Dhunsi
Length: 35-40 mins
Commissioned by: Norwegian National Ballet - Female choreographic voices
Supported by: Talent Norge & Norsk Tipping
- 24th October 2021 CODA Int. Dance Festival,
The Norwegian National Ballet, Oslo, Norway
- 7th October 2022. In2It International Dance Festival, Kristiansund, Norway
- 28th October 2022. Oktoberdans v/BIT Teatergarasjen, Bergen, Norway
- 29th October 2022. Oktoberdans v/BIT Teatergarasjen, Bergen, Norway
- 30th June 2023 Galleri F15, Moss, Norway
- 1st July 2023 Galleri F15, Moss, Norway
- 5th July 2023 Ubåden, Bådteateret, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 6th July 2023 Ubåden, Bådteateret, Copenhagen, Denmark
Tour 2022-23 is supported by:
Norwegian Arts Council, Fond for Lyd og Bilde, Bergen kommune & FFUK